Christmas Star

Copyright Claim

Christmas Star

Boost
39
75
11

Print Profile(2)

All
X1 Carbon
P1S
P1P
X1
X1E
A1
A1 mini

Christmas Star with Point Jig - Bambu - 0.2mm layer, 2 walls, 15% infill
Christmas Star with Point Jig - Bambu - 0.2mm layer, 2 walls, 15% infill
Designer
4.1 h
1 plate

Christmas Star for A1 Mini, with Point Jig - Bambu - 0.2mm layer, 2 walls, 15% infill
Christmas Star for A1 Mini, with Point Jig - Bambu - 0.2mm layer, 2 walls, 15% infill
Designer
4.8 h
2 plates

Boost
39
75
11
0
110
72
Released

Description

Summary

The design is simple using only 3 basic parts: a 20 sided icosahedron Frame, 19 Spikes, and 1 Base (to mount it on a tree).

The Star is approximately 17.6 cm in diameter. The parts of this design can be scaled to any size, using your slicer's scaling options.

 

I used Polymaker Polysmooth Transparent PLA filament. It can be sprayed with Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) to smooth its surface. Be sure to do it on aluminum foil (or a metal) surface, because after it dries the IPA that dripped off leaves a residue of PLA which can be hard to get off.

After spraying, not touch it until after the IPA dries, otherwise you will leave fingerprints. I would recommend only spraying the final assembly, not the indivudual parts.

 

I used this Acrylic Cement (https://www.tapplastics.com/product/repair_products/plastic_adhesives/tap_acrylic_cement/130) and this Small BD-25/2 Hypo Applicator (https://www.tapplastics.com/product/repair_products/plastic_adhesives/hypo_type_solvent_cement_applicator/409) to glue everything together. This cement works great with PLA. Note that it works in seconds, and should only be used in a well ventilated space.

 

For the lights I used these Govee fairy lights.
https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Operated-Waterproof-Silver-Plated-Festivals/dp/B07R8V53S4
It took about three 1 meter strands (20 LEDs/strand).

 

To assemble it, I picked one side of the Frame and ran lights into the center, then using tweezers I pulled about 3 LEDs out each hole in the Frame. Bending the wires so there was one LED at the tip, one in the center, and another towards the base of the spike. Pressing the Spike against the Frame I ran a bead of Acrylic Cement around the three sides of the spike and held it for about 20 seconds. Superglue would probably work too. After repeating this 19 more times, I glued the Base to the last open position on the Frame.

 

The lights are powered by 2 3V CR2032 batteries in series. The batteries provided 6V, so to power the star I cut off the battery packs, then used a cut off USB cable where I connected the USB cable 5V power wires to the 3 light strings in parallel.Then using a small USB power supply, I attached the star to the end of a string of lights on the tree.

 

Even with the lower USB voltage (5V) the star was still really bright. In fact, so bright that I added a 100 Ohm resistor in series to the +5V wire to reduce the brightness.

 

I included 2 Print Profiles: One for a 256x256 bed, and a second one for an Mini 160x160 bed.

Print Settings

Printer:

Prusa MK3S

 

Rafts:

No

 

Supports:

Yes

 

Resolution:

0.15

 

Infill:

No

 

Filament: Polymaker Polysmooth PLA Transparent

Notes:

Using the Prusa Slicer, I printed the Frame and Base with the 'Supports on Build Plate only' option. And for the Spikes I enabled a 2mm skirt.

Comment & Rating (11)

Please fill in your opinion
(0/5000)

The print profile is no longer public
I did it in a clear PETG it really turned out nice!
(Edited)
0
Reply
It looks great, but huge! Maybe it's just the angle... Did you scale it up?
0
Reply
must be the way it photographed. its exactly the same size.
0
Reply
The print profile is no longer public
The star has succeeded is beautiful. Good job thank you
0
Reply
Wow, it looks great! Especially when lit.
(Edited)
1
Reply
The print profile is no longer public
printed easily and assembled easily, I used clear PETG, I had a couple of the spikes come off the plate but that was just bed adhesion issues solve with a glue stick and brim.
0
Reply
I used the clear PLA, the Engineering Bed and set the bed temp to 60C. Using this Bed/temp combination, I haven't had any bed adhesion problems with any of my PLA prints. But PETG is trickier. BTW, just using a light from the normal string is a great idea! I did it the hard way...
0
Reply
The print profile is no longer public
Would not print it again 😂
0
Reply
The print profile is no longer public
0
Reply
The print profile is no longer public
0
Reply
The print profile is no longer public
0
Reply
No more